Tier 2 Visa Sponsorship: Planning for Post-CCT

04 May 2021

If your Tier 2 visa is due to expire at the end of your training, this information should help you to plan ahead, so that when you gain your CCT, you are in the best possible position to move smoothly into a role as a qualified GP.

Good to know

  • Plan ahead as far as possible so that you can move directly into a job without delay.
  • There is no automatic extension to your visa.
  • It's quicker if you can secure a job with a practice which already has a sponsoring license, but this can be applied for if the practice doesn’t have it and is willing to get it.
  • You should start the process once you have passed the AKT and CSA/RCA and are on track to progress to CCT on your planned completion date.
  • It may be worth double checking your CCT date is accurate with your deanery (who can confirm this with the RCGP GPSA team) to ensure the correct timing of your application.
  • General practice jobs are on the shortage occupation list, so a Resident Labour Market Test (RLMT) isn't required.

Applying for jobs

  • Check the RCGP Jobs board
  • You could approach your deanery explaining your situation and ask them for support in seeking jobs (potentially at training practices via Training Programme Directors).
  • Find out which practices in the area you are planning to work can sponsor Tier 2 visas. Check the LMC website for the relevant area for information on this.

Certificate of Sponsorship (CoS)

  • To apply for your CoS you will need passport details, your address, details of your job, etc.
  • If you have a job offer from a practice which already holds a license for Tier 2 visa sponsorship, they will be able to apply for your CoS straight away.
  • If you have a job offer from a practice which isn’t already a sponsor, they will have to be prepared to apply to become a sponsoring practice and complete this process before you apply for your CoS. Securing a Tier 2 license can take around 8 to 12 weeks so allow enough time for this.
  • More information and support for practices:
  • Once the license is granted, the practice can apply for your CoS.
  • When you have been assigned a CoS you must apply for your visa within three months but cannot apply more than three months before the start date of the job listed on the certificate. See certificates of sponsorship on GOV.UK.


Home Office




Northern Ireland


About the authors

Dr Adam Thomas and Dr Sophie Lumley are the current Co-Chairs of the RCGP AiT Network. They are both in their final year of GP training in Shropshire in the West Midlands. They both have a keen interest in medical education and leadership, having both completed National Medical Directors Clinical Fellowships.

Adam has a masters in medical education and has previously worked in the assessments team at the GMC for his leadership fellowship.

Sophie is an academic trainee and is currently completing a PGCert in Med Ed as part of her academic training. She worked at NHS England in the prevention team for a year before her GP training.

Find courses & events

The item has been added to your basket.

Continue shopping

Go to basket

This item is out of stock.

Continue shopping

The item is out of stock.

Yes Continue shopping

An error occured adding your item to the basket:

Continue shopping