The RCGP recognises its role in taking the initiative around the quality agenda and that there is a need to reflect our members' experiences. In primary care, we don’t have time or resources to spend on things that don't work, don't serve our patients, and that could be done more efficiently or effectively. 'What good looks like' changes over time and we want to encourage everyone to engage in QI activities on a broader level, irrespective of where they are on the quality spectrum.
- Read our position on quality in General Practice.
Quality and Outcomes Framework (QOF) QI project
In 2019 the RCGP, in collaboration with NICE and the Health Foundation, were commissioned by NHS England and NHS Improvement to develop a series of quality improvement (QI) modules and guidance to form part of QOF. Ten modules were produced in this phase of work.
In 2021 the RCGP has continued to support general practice carry out this QOF activity by producing learning material for the QOF QI module topics supporting people with learning disability and early diagnosis of cancer. Additionally, guidance has been produced to support effective and sustainable QI within a primary care network (PCN). These resources are available below.
This project is clinically led and draws upon expertise from across the system, and from the established evidence base for specific module topics and for QI more broadly.
Primary Care Network guidance
- Leading effective and sustainable Quality Improvement within a Primary Care Network: A how-to guide (PDF file, 479 KB)
Supporting people with learning disability
- How can your practice undertake quality improvement activity to support people with learning disabilities? (PDF file, 65.8 KB)
- QOF QI Case study: Improving the knowledge and understanding of practice team members about the needs of the practice’s learning-disabled population (PDF file, 257 KB)
- QOF QI Case study: Learning disability death review (PDF file, 197 KB)
Early diagnosis of cancer
- How can your practice undertake quality improvement activity focused on early diagnosis of cancer? (PDF file 78.1 KB)
- QOF QI Early diagnosis of cancer case study: Bowel cancer screening (PDF file, 259 KB)
- QOF QI Early diagnosis of cancer case study: Cervical screening (PDF file, 233 KB)
- QOF QI Case study: Early diagnosis of cancer based on NCDA outcomes (PDF file, 328 KB)