MRCGP key dates and applications
Trainees who intend to make an application for the AKT or RCA will be unable to do so if their membership or training records do not meet the criteria for eligibility.
Prospective candidates should ensure the following in advance of a booking window:
- MRCGP membership must be active. Resigned, lapsed or suspended MRCGP membership will prevent booking. Prospective AKT or RCA candidates who are not current members of the College should contact the membership department to discuss having their membership reinstated (email@example.com).
- Training records must state that candidates will be at the correct point in their training at the time of an assessment. For AKT this is either ST2 or ST3 year and for RCA this is ST3 year only. Both training posts and training years should be added to training records – gaps in information will prevent booking. Trainees are advised to check their FourteenFish portfolio regularly to ensure that it is up-to-date and to contact their Educational Supervisor if this isn’t the case, as they will be able to update it.
- Out-of-training candidates may need to contact the exams team prior to application (firstname.lastname@example.org). Trainees on maternity or sick leave or in an extended period of training who are eligible to sit the test (i.e. at the correct point in their training (as stated above) and authorised to do so by their deanery and the RCGP) will require a system override to be added to their RCGP record; for maternity leave and training extensions this is usually automatically applied, however candidates are advised to contact the exams team if experiencing booking issues. Candidates on leave for any other reason will need to have a badge manually added and should contact the exams team in advance of a booking window. Evidence of eligibility may be required.
- Google Chrome is the preferred web browser for AKT and RCA applications
- American Express is not an accepted method of payment at present
AKT candidates please note: during a booking window all enquiries must be made via email (the exams team phone lines are closed). This is to ensure maximum efficiency in dealing with booking enquiries. Please do not call other departments in the College with exams-related queries as they will have limited ability to help.
Applied Knowledge Test (AKT)
AKT Assessment dates 2021-22
| ||Booking period||AKT test date||Results published* (all 17:00 hours)|
|AKT April 2022||2 March - 4 March 2022||27 April 2022||19 May 2022|
AKT Assessment dates 2022-23
| ||Booking period||Submission deadline for RA1 form|
Submission deadline for reasonable adjustment supporting evidence
|AKT test date||Results published* (all 17:00 hours)|
|AKT October 2022||31 August - 2 September 2022||2 September 2022||5 October 2022*||26 October 2022||24 November 2022|
|AKT January 2023||30 November - 2 December 2022||2 December 2022||4 January 2023*||25 January 2023||23 February 2023|
|AKT April 2023||1 - 3 March 2023||3 March 2023||3 April 2023*||26 April 2023||25 May 2023|
*Candidates submitting new evidence in conjunction with a reasonable adjustment application must do so before 12pm on the above stated date(s).
Candidates needing additional time as a reasonable adjustment are required to sit in the afternoon session.
All dates and times may be subject to change. Appropriate notice of any changes will be given at the earliest opportunity.
Updates around these exams is available on the main AKT page.
Recorded Consultation Assessment (RCA)
You will not be able to complete the booking using Internet Explorer. Please only use Google Chrome, Microsoft Edge or Safari.
All dates and times may be subject to change. Notice of any changes will be given at the earliest opportunity.
RCA dates 2021-22
| ||Apply via website||Deadline for submission (all 13:00 hours)||Assessment Period*|
Results published* (all 17:00 hours)
|March 2022||25 January 2022 - 8 February 2022||21 March 2022||23 March 2022 - 13 April 2022||28 April 2022|
|April 2022||11 March 2022 - 28 March 2022||21 April 2022||23 April 2022 - 4 June 2022||16 June 2022|
The marking period for April has been extended following consultation with the AiT reps and COGPED, and the results release for the April RCA will now be Thursday 16 June at 17:00.
RCA dates 2022-23
| ||Apply via website||Submission deadline for RA2 form||Submission deadline for reasonable adjustments supporting evidence||Consultations submission deadline (all 13:00 hours)||Assessment period*||Results published* (all 17:00 hours)|
|RCA September 2022||10 August – 23 August 2022||23 August 2022||2 September 2022||21 September 2022||23 September– 8 October 2022||20 October 2022|
|RCA November 2022||4 October - 18 October 2022||18 October 2022||28 October 2022||16 November 2022||18 November – 1 December 2022||15 December 2022|
|RCA January 2023||13 December 2022 – 3 January 2023||3 January 2023||13 January 2023||24 January 2023||26 January – 14 February 2023||23 February 2023|
|RCA March 2023||6 February – 21 February 2023||21 February 2023||3 March 2023||21 March 2023||23 March – 13 April 2023||27 April 2023|
|RCA April 2023||14 March – 28 March 2023||28 March 2023||7 April 2023||24 April 2023||26 April – 24 May 2023||8 June 2023|
* Subject to change if large demand for places
Summer RCA Examination
We want to reiterate that there will be no RCA between May and August. There was never a summer Clinical Skills Assessment (CSA), and the RCA summer exams in 2020 and 2021 were provided as emergency measures so that trainees could continue to complete their training at the start of the pandemic.
Results of the April 2022 diet will be published on 9 June (subject to change if large demand for places), and then the next diet will begin in September 2022. Please talk to your deanery colleagues to ensure you factor this into your plans.
There are very good reasons why we are not able to run summer exams. The main one is that the demand is very low, and this was evident in the take up for the emergency RCA diet ran in July 2021. It is important in setting the grade boundaries for the exam that we have sufficient numbers on which to ensure the results are valid and fair. We are also working hard during the summer to pilot new improvements and undertake examiner training and quality assurance, whilst also developing a replacement clinical skills assessment module for the RCA.