South East Scotland Faculty
A warm welcome from South East Scotland Faculty. We are a group of volunteer RCGP members who provide local networking, education and support for members in the area. We cover Edinburgh, East and West Lothian, the Scottish Borders and South Fife, supporting 1200 RCGP members, Fellows and AiTs. As a Faculty, we have a particular interest in supporting our members' CPD and professional development and provide a range of education courses, tailored to local needs, including supporting local medical students and our trainees as well as a number of awards to support and recognise innovation and development.
We run many education courses and social/networking events throughout the year. Many of these contribute to CPD and professional development.
Next board meeting and AGM
We meet four times per year, in February, June, September and November to progress our local engagement activities and discuss issues pertinent to our members, which are then fed back to both Scottish and UK Council. All local members are very welcome to attend Board meetings and participate in these discussions – we are always looking for enthusiastic volunteers to help us develop our local engagement programme.
The 2024 Faculty Board meetings are scheduled to take place online on:
- Tuesday 27 February 2024
- Tuesday 11 June 2024
- Thursday 5 September 2024
- Thursday 21 November 2024.
Awards and prizes
Allen and Margaret Wilson Award
Awarded biennially to a GP to recognise and congratulate their work in research. The 2023 winner is Dr Kieran Sweeney.
Dr Pat Manson Educators Award
The Dr Pat Manson Educators Award is presented to an educationalist who has made an outstanding contribution to the development of General Practice Speciality Training in South East Scotland. It is intended to recognise the contribution to training by anyone, medical or non-medical, involved in GPST education who is currently working within the region. The winner of the 2023 Award is Dr Patrick Sheil.
Trainee of the Year award
This is awarded to the South East of Scotland trainee who has achieved the highest combined score for the AKT and CSA/RCA exams in the preceding twelve months. The 2023 winner is Dr Claire Morgan.
Meet your faculty
- Dr Babar Akbar - Chair and Scottish Council Rep
- Dr Ed Russell-Smith - Provost
- Dr Yusuf Lalloo - Honorary Treasurer
- Dr Sukhdeep Gill - Honorary Secretary
Faculty Board members
- Dr Robert Duncan
- Dr Sian Tucker - UK Council Rep
- Dr Niall Campbell - UK Council Deputy Rep
- Dr Susan Arnold
- Dr Paul Bailey
- Dr Stuart Blake
- Dr Katie Cathrow - Education Lead
- Dr Jenny English
- Dr Rob Lawson
- Dr Carey Lunan
- Dr Robert Manson
- Dr Katherina Tober - F5 Lead
- Dr Elika Aspinall - Sustainability Rep
- Dr Cameron Kennedy
- Dr Kristian Turnbull
- Dr Jane McManus - AiT Rep
- Ms Pauline Hutton and Ms Theresa Cameron - Practice Manager Representative
- Ms Fiona McIntyre - Royal Pharmaceutical Society Representative
- Ms Janice Bailey - Patient Representative
- Ms Honor Mackay - ANP Representative