We support over 1,700 members, Fellows, Associates and Associates in Training across Bristol, South Gloucestershire, Gloucestershire, Somerset, Bath and North-East Somerset and part of Wiltshire region. We provide local networking and education support to GPs and their peers in the area.
Latest Faculty updates
Severn Learn and connect conference
Thursday 8 February 2024
09:00 – 15:45, Engineers House, Bristol
Join us for our first Severn Learn and Connect conference. The event is for all GPs at any stage of your career and is free to attend. We aim to cover various hot topics and the event will give you the opportunity to network and learn with GP colleagues. The event is for all GPs at any stage of your career and is free to attend.
Severn Greener Practice Wellbeing Day
Monday 18 March 2024
09:00 – 16:30, Penny Brohn, Pill, Bristol
Come and join us for relaxing day, connecting with colleagues, finding out about planetary health, green healthcare issues and how to take action. This event is Free to RCGP Members.
We rely on members to play an active role locally, promoting the College aims and objectives. It is essential to raise and maintain awareness of demographic issues and needs of GPs and patients alike, and develop initiatives to support these. If you would like to find out more about becoming involved with the faculty we would be delighted to hear from you.
We run many education courses and social/networking events throughout the year. Many of these contribute to CPD and professional development.
Next board meeting and annual general meeting
Board meetings are scheduled to be held on:
- Wednesday 21 February 2024 (please book your place via this link)
- Wednesday 12 June 2024
- Tuesday 17 September 2024
- Wednesday 20 November 2024
Annual general meeting
The date for the 2024 AGM has been set for Wednesday 23 October 2024 and this will be an in person event.
All board meetings will be held online via Zoom for the foreseeable future. If you would like to participate and discuss any item covered or would like an item to be considered at a future meeting, please do not hesitate to contact us.
Bristol medical-chirurgical society
The Bristol Medical-Chirurgical Society aims to promote the exchange of views between health professionals through education and dialogue. Members consist of doctors and dentists, GPs and Secondary Care Specialists, medical students and retired Professors. For more information or contact the Society Administrator, Sam Walker: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Local training and development
Fellowship is an honour and a mark of achievement recognising a significant contribution to health and welfare of the community, science or practice of medicine, and/or aims of RCGP, or any organisation which benefits general practice. Full details of applying for fellowship can be found at RCGP fellowship. If you are unsure about any part of fellowship or want to know more about the process contact the Severn Faculty for more information.
The faculty actively encourages its members of 5 years plus standing to consider putting themselves forward for Fellowship. We have a Faculty Fellowship Committee (FFC) within the faculty, coordinated by the Fellowship lead, Dr Jill Wilson. The FFC can offer advice and support through the Severn Faculty office.
Awards and prizes
Severn Faculty RCGP bursaries
Each year we offer Severn Faculty conference bursaries for attendance to the RCGP Primary Annual Conference. These bursaries are for applications from all GPs, AiTs, Foundation Doctors and student members in the Severn faculty area. We will advertise when the bursaries are open for applications and details will be shared via our Faculty Fortnightly email and via our Facebook page. This year the bursaries were awarded via a Bursary Ticket Prize Draw method. See below for Prize draw details.
Annually RCGP Severn Faculty offer funding for two Elective Bursaries of £250. The Bursaries aim to encourage and support Final Year students at the University of Bristol to undertake an Elective in primary care.
To be eligible for these Bursaries, the Elective should have a strong emphasis on primary care and community-based healthcare provision, though this may include a variety of activities and/ or settings. Examples may include (but are not limited to) improving access to health care, working with minority or ‘hard to reach’ groups (for example migrant populations, people who misuse drugs), health promotion and illness prevention, as well as working in Primary Care centres in any country.
These bursaries are advertised via the GPSoc and on social media when they are open for applications.
Prize draw - RCGP Annual Conference ticket
Severn Faculty award ticket bursaries to attend the RCGP Annual Conference each year. The winners will be invited to share their experiences with other Faculty members by attending the Severn Faculty AGM on a date following the conference at a venue to be confirmed.
Meet your faculty
- Dr Steve Holmes - Chair, Deputy Council Representative, Severn Deanery Representative and FFC
- Dr Pam Curtis - Vice Chair, Education Lead, South Glos. Representative
- Dr Holly Hardy - Honorary Secretary
- Dr Jennie Cox - Honorary Treasurer
- Professor Martyn Hewett – Provost & FFC
- Dr Jill Wilson - Faculty Fellowship Lead, Council Representative & Late Career & Retired Members Lead & FFC
Faculty Board members
- Dr Liz Alden - Swindon Representative
- Dr Rabab Ali - AiT Rep, ST3
- Dr Eve Barnes - Foundation Doctor Rep F2 & Assistant Comms Lead
- Dr Jenny Doughty - Climate Champion & Sustainability Lead (joint) (on maternity leave)
- Dr Sahar Fatima - EDI Champion (Equality, Diversity and Inclusion) (joint) & Junior International Rep & Gloucestershire Rep
- Dr Ruth Friedlander - Foundation Doctor Rep F3
- Dr Sam Gillett - Wellbeing Representative
- Dr Shital Godbole - EDI Champion (Equality, Diversity and Inclusion) (joint
- Dr Daniela Hall - Wellbeing Lead
- Dr Alison Hutchings – Wellbeing & Mid-Career Representative
- Samira Limbada – Nurse Representative (joint)
- Dr Daniel Ogidigben - AiT Rep, ST3 & Editor/Comms Lead
- Dr Patronella O’Neill – First5 Lead (joint)
- Hannah Potvliege - Student Representative
- Dr Graham Rawlinson - FFC
- Dr Niamh Roberts - Foundation Doctor Rep F1
- Dr Lucinda Ryan - Climate Champion & Sustainability Lead (joint)
- Dr Jocelyn Selwyn-Gotha- First5 Lead (joint)
- Dr Lindsay Smith - FFC
- Marieke Strange – Nurse Representative (joint)
- Dr Xavin Taylor - AiT Rep, ST2
- Dr Simon Thornton - University Representative & Bristol Representative
- Dr Will Wallage - Education Lead & AKT Course Tutor
- Vacancy - Bath & North East Somerset (BANES) Representative
- Vacancy - Lay Representative
- Vacancy - Senior International Representative
- Vacancy - Somerset Representative
RCGP Severn Faculty
c/o UWE Glenside Campus
Telephone: 0203 188 7714
Office opening hours:
Monday to Wednesday: 08:00 - 16:00.
Thursday: 08:00 - 12:30.