GPING - GPs with an interest in nutrition group
GPING is a virtual network of GPs that evolved from the RCGP Nutrition for Health Clinical Priority Programme, established in 2013, and is chaired by Dr Ellen Fallows.
We support general practitioners and other healthcare professionals to help people with nutritional problems, including obesity and malnutrition, and to increase physical activity in our patients. We connect front-line GPs, academics, commissioners and those working on policy matters to drive improvements across the spectrum of lifestyle risk factors.
- RCGP position statement on Obesity and Malnutrition (PDF file, 198 KB)
- Co-author Managing Malnutrition in the Community guidance document (PDF file, 606 KB)
- Delivery of tailored Introductory certificate training courses.
Contact Dr Ellen Fallows for queries about running a local course.
New and forthcoming work
GPING members have developed specific programmes that relate to nutrition and lifestyle:
- Zoe Williams and Andrew Boyd lead the RCGP Physical Activity and Lifestyle clinical priority programme
- Rachel Pryke ran a 12 month RCGP Spotlight project on Multimorbidity that promotes awareness of how addressing shared chronic disease risk factors can improve care for people with several long-term conditions.
- Ten top tips raising the topic of weight (PDF file, 298 KB)
- Audit tool to monitor post bariatric care in primary care (DOC file, 1.2 MB)
- Malnutrition Consensus Panel rep (Anita Nathan) co-author 2016 Managing Malnutrition in COPD guidance
- Member involvement in NICE Obesity guideline CG189 (Carly Hughes)
- Member involvement in NICE NAFLD guideline NG49 and NICE Quality Standard on Liver Disease (Rachel Pryke)
- Contributor to Commissioning Guidance for Tier 3 Weight Management services update and to PHE Toolkit for Commissioning Tier 2 and Tier 3 Weight Management Services (CH)
- Obesity Health Alliance (RP, SM, AG)
- RCP Advisory Group on Weight and Health (RP CH)
- RCP Nutrition Committee (RP)
- PHE Obesity Prevention Priority Board (RP)
- NCMP Board (RP)
- RCP Joint Specialty Committee for Endocrinology and Diabetes Mellitus (HP)
- Obesity Action Campaign (ZW)
- World Obesity Clinical Care and Education Committee (RP and CH)
- Data recording of child BMI centile on GP IT systems – now included as action point in NHSE Child Obesity Plan and ongoing work with NHS Digital.