Welcome from Midland Faculty. We support over 4000 members, Fellows, Associates and Associates in Training in: Birmingham, Coventry, Dudley, Hereford, Sandwell, Shropshire, Solihull, Staffordshire, Walsall, Warwickshire, Wolverhampton, and Worcester.
We are proud to be the designated faculty supporting military GPs applying for Fellowship, many of whom are stationed abroad and don't have a 'home' faculty.
Latest Faculty updates
New board positions and positions vacant
We still have some non-officer roles available as follows:
District Representatives - Each to sit for two years and eligible for re-election. Rep will need to reside or practice in the area they are applying to represent be eligible for election.
Associate Representatives - Posts are by VTS area. AiTs will need to be part of the relevant VTS to be eligible for election.
o Birmingham North
If you wish to apply for any of these vacant posts, please email email@example.com for further details.
Awards and prizes
The faculty recently held its 71st AGM and Annual Awards Evening at the Edgbaston Golf Club, Birmingham. Our new Chair, Dr Jamie Hynes, has put together a brilliant video celebrating the evening and the winners. You can watch this on YouTube. We also have some wonderful photographs taken by our official photographer and one of our members Dr Sanjay Manohar - you can view these on online.
The following people were given their awards on the night:
- The Annual Robin Steel Vocational Training Award - Dr David Palmer
- The Michael Drury Award for non-GP contributors to General Practice Education - Catherine English & Nicola Watts
- The Clare Boothroyd Memorial Award for excellence in General Practice – Dr Hussain Al Zubaidi
- The Dr Martin Wilkinson Award for Innovation – Dr Cat Roberts
- 3 x AiT Awards – Dr Amelia Reynolds, Dr Aysha Naz, Dr Alex Dawson
- Quality in General Practice Awards – Dr Margaret Clarke, Dr Ryan Prince & Dr Matthew Nye
We want to congratulate them and thank everyone for taking the time to enter and nominate people. The awards will open for next year in Spring 2024. In the meantime, please email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Veteran Friendly GP Practices
The Royal College of General Practitioners (RCGP) is working alongside NHS England to accredit practices as ‘Veteran Friendly’. Over 2,200 GP practices in England are accredited through this programme.
There are an estimated 2.5 million veterans in the UK, some of whom have complex needs. There are veteran-specific services tailored towards this potentially vulnerable patient group. Veterans may also be entitled to priority treatment for conditions related to military service.
The Veteran Friendly GP Practices programme equips practice-staff to identify, understand, raise awareness, improve understanding and better equip and facilitate GPs in their duty of care to veterans. An evaluation by the University of Chester revealed that 99% of practices recommend it.
Becoming a veteran friendly accredited practice is a simple on-line process, find out more on the Veteran friendly GP practice accreditation page on our eLearning platform.
We have a full programme of both educational and wellbeing events covering various topics.
Board meeting and AGM dates for 2023/24
We hold our annual general meeting and first Board Meeting in June of each year. We then hold our regular Board meetings in September, November and February. All local members are welcome to attend and we especially welcome students and foundation doctors to attend as observers.
- Third meeting of 2023-24 – Thursday 9 November 2023
- Fourth meeting of 2023-24 – Thursday 29 February 2024
- First meeting of 2024-25 - Thursday 13 June 2024 & AGM
- Second meeting of 2023-24 – Thursday 12 September 2024
Local training and development
Faculty Education Leads
- Dr Alexandra Lee
- Dr Kamran Naseem
- Dr Ayesha Mahmud
Awards and prizes
The faculty has the following awards and prizes for presentation at our Annual Faculty Awards Evening in June every year.
- The Annual Robin Steel Vocational Training Award
- The Professor Elizabeth Hughes Award for the contribution made to GP training from a secondary care consultant
- The Michael Drury Award for non-GP contributors to General Practice Education
- The Clare Boothroyd Memorial Award for excellence in General Practice
- The Dr Martin Wilkinson Award for Innovation
- 3 x AiT Awards
- Four Quality in General Practice Awards
The awards will open for next year in Spring 2024. In the meantime, please email email@example.com or more information.
Meet your faculty
- Dr Jamie Hynes - Chair
- Dr Aaliya Goyal - Vice Chair
- Dr David Rapley - Provost
- Dr Onyi Okonkwo - Honorary Secretary
- Dr Krishnaveni Sivakumar - Honorary Treasurer
- Dr Abdul Qayyum - Birmingham
- Dr Aaliya Goyal - Birmingham
- Dr Bilal Salman - Warwickshire
- Dr Vino Manivasagam - Birmingham
- Dr Maisun Elftise - Coventry
- Dr Jamie Hynes - Dudley
- Dr Dominic Horne - Hereford
- Dr Aneeqa Sharif - Sandwell
- Dr Mary McCarthy - Shropshire
- Dr Sarah Cousins - Shropshire
- Dr Bala Sankarasubbu - Staffordshire North
- Dr Charanjit Randhawa - Staffordshire South
- Dr Oluwole Adeniyan - Staffordshire South
- Dr Kamran Naseem - Walsall
- Dr Krishnaveni Sivakumar - Worcester
- Dr Nazish Kanwal - Worcester
- Dr Jonathan Leach - Worcester
Associate (AiT) Representatives
- Surabhika Lunawat - Wolverhampton & Chair
- Alaa Issa - Dudley (Joint) & Vice Chair BMA
- Priya Sarkar - Dudley (Joint) & Vice Chair RCGP
- Fareeha Sami - East Birmingham and Solihull: Vice Chair HEE
- Jake Matthews - Birmingham South
- Ruby Shoffa - Coventry & Warwickshire
- Asmat Kobakhidze - North Worcestershire
- Abeer Faiz - Sandwell
- Emma Hockey - Shropshire
- Taiwo Orioke - South Worcestershire
- Greatson Moweta - Staffordshire East
- Sneha Rathod - Staffordshire North
- Drew Kindmond - Staffordshire South
- Rehab Khan - Walsall
- Afsheen Javed - LTFT Rep
- Sara Pradhan - Birmingham West
- Dr Fiona Sellens
- Dr Jodie Blackadder-Weinstein
- Dr Toby Holland
- Dr Anita Raja
- Dr Aysha Naz
- Dr Sally Sheward
- Dr Helen Gabathuler
- Ms Judy Samuel
- Mr Peter Purnell
- Dr Soumitri Chakraborty
- Dr Ayesha Mahmud
- Dr Onyi Okonkwo
- Dr Nagu Penakacherla
Later Career and Retired Members (LCARM) Representative
- Dr David Rapley
- Dr Preanka Chandan
- Dr Thuva Amuthalingam
- Dr Ijeoma Ikoro