General Practice 2022
The 2022 GP: A Vision for General Practice in the future NHS outlines the RCGP’s aspiration for the future of general practice and patient care – along with what will be needed to deliver it.
It looks to the future of health care in the next decade, how it will change, and how general practice can help meet the challenges of this new era.
We’ve set out an action plan defining six clear ambitions that general practice, in partnership with our stakeholders, must aspire to achieve:
- Promote a greater understanding of generalist care and demonstrate its value to the health service
- Develop new generalist-led integrated services to deliver personalised, cost-effective care
- Expand the capacity of the general practice workforce to meet population and service needs
- Enhance the skills and flexibility of the general practice workforce to provide complex care
- Support the organisational development of community-based practices, teams and networks, to support flexible models of care
- Increase community-based academic activity to improve effectiveness, research and quality.
To accompany the 2022 Vision, the RCGP has published The 2022 GP: Compendium of evidence [PDF]. It supports the 2022 GP Vision and draws on an extensive body of national and international research demonstrating how general practice can and should be the driving force for transforming the health service over the next decade.