Join RCGP: trainee GPs
Congratulations on gaining a GP placement and welcome to the Royal College of GPs!
The RCGP supports GPs across the UK to deliver the best patient care. We do this by providing GP support, learning, development and crediting networking opportunities. We’re also the voice of GPs and representing our members on a number of key issues.
Why do I need to register with the RCGP?
We run the MRCGP assessments, which are the assessments required to become a GP in the UK.
What is the MRCGP assessment?
The MRCGP is a training and assessment programme that comprise of three compulsory elements:
- Workplace based assessment (WPBA)
- Applied Knowledge Test (AKT)
- Clinical Skills assessment (CSA)
To find out more about the MRCGP assessments, please visit our MRCGP assessments page.
How do I register ?
You have the option of becoming a member of the RCGP during your training years and we have designed a membership package specially for GP trainees.
Your Trainee membership (AiT) package includes:
- RCGP certification
- Access to the trainee ePortfolio
- Local and national Representation at the highest levels
- Being a part of a community of over 11,000 GP trainees (99.8% of GP trainees choose AiT membership)
- Invitations to local and national free trainee events
- Opportunity to apply for NUS EXTRA card
- The opportunity to claim tax back on all membership costs
- Subscriptions to the InnovAiT magazine and BGJP
- Access to an extensive medical library
- Access to award winning online learning modules
- Huge discounts for major RCGP conferences
- Discount on books, courses, resources and workshops
Non-member trainee package includes RCGP certification and access to the trainee ePortfolio.
AiT membership fees
To become an Associate member in Training (AiT) , we ask you to pay the following:
- An initial payment of £273.40 upon registration by card.
- An annual Membership payment* will be taken in every April until the end of you training scheme. You will need to set up a Direct Debit arrangement during the registration process.
*The 2016 AiT subscription fee was £399** for full time trainees and £199.50 LTFT trainees under 75%. *Prices subject to change with inflation*
Trainee non-member fees
The Non-member fee is a one off fee of £925 payable in one lump sum at the beginning of training (Based on training of 3-4 years). Thereafter an extension of training non member fee will be payable annually.
*The 2016 non-member extension was £139
For more information about membership fees, fees for part-time trainees and tax rebates is available on our AiT Membership Fee page
AiT Impact report 2015/16
For more information you can contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org Tel - 0203 188 7662 or Tweet @RCGPAiT