The College is unique amongst Royal Colleges in having a federal structure which enhances engagement with members at a local level.
RCGP supports it’s membership through a network of local faculties. There are currently 32 faculties, including one in Republic of Ireland and one dedicated to supporting overseas and international members.
Members and Associates are automatically allocated to one of the 32 faculties on joining the College, based on their personal post code.
Each faculty is represented by a Faculty Board, made up of a number of dedicated GPs and lay representatives who work voluntarily towards the College’s vision, purpose and priority goals.
10 Core Roles for Faculties (approved by Council November 2013)
- inform, respond to, and shape the RCGP Strategic Plan
- understand educational needs locally, regionally and nationally and contribute to programmes to meet those needs as appropriate
- be part of the relevant local and regional networks
- contribute to and influence the development of health policy issues locally/regionally (e.g. primary/community and integrated care delivery agenda)
- be responsible for supporting and engaging with members
- facilitate networks and discussion to explore the quality of service and how this can be raised
- maintain an overview of (and where appropriate meet) the needs of other members of the primary healthcare team
- be an advocate for the RCGP and promote the objectives of the college both locally and regionally
- effectively manage resources including developing future leaders
- consider (and contribute to) income generating activities at a local, regional and national level
At least one representative from each faculty sits on the College Council to ensure local views and opinions are considered.
Faculties are organised into eight administrative regions to enable the sharing of best practice and the exchange of ideas at a regional level.
Faculties have a close working relationship with colleagues in RCGP NI, RCGP Scotland, RCGP Wales and RCGP International.
National Faculty Office
The National Faculty office supports the network, providing guidance and assistance on strategic development and operational issues. We facilitate the sharing of best practice across the structure and co ordinate a range of national projects for delivery at local level.
RCGP National Faculty Office
Suite 6, Fosse House
East Anton House
National Faculty Manager, Operations: Carolyn Coy
Telephone: 020 3188 7703
National Faculty Manager, Engagement: Rachel Morris
Telephone: 020 3188 7708