The Patient Online Practice Toolkit
The Toolkit, which is being developed by the RCGP and NHS England, contains the latest resources for GPs and other healthcare professionals on patient online access. Find out more here.
The ‘Patient Online: The Road Map’ was launched on Wednesday 6 March 2013 by the RCGP.
This summarises expert opinion and feedback explaining what online access involves, and provides key messages for a number of key stakeholder groups. It outlines future steps to support practices with Patient Online.
- Read our press release here.
Programme information and context
The Department of Health (DH) Information Strategy ‘The power of information: Putting all of us in control of the health and care information we need’ has stated that by 2015:
- all general practices will be expected to make available electronic booking and cancelling of appointments, requesting of repeat prescriptions, viewing of test results, communication with the practice and access to records
- all NHS patients will have secure online access, if they want it, to their personal GP records
Patient Online: The Road Map
Throughout 2012 the RCGP has worked in partnership with a number of stakeholders to develop the Patient Online: The Road Map.
Patient Online: The Road Map provides:
- guidance and support for GP practices, and explanations of the different options available for providing Patient Online
- potential strategies to support GP practices with the implementation of Patient Online
- guidance about information governance and safeguarding issues
- an overview of support, training and education tools the RCGP and partners want to develop for GPs, practice staff and patients
- a summary of the ongoing systematic review supporting the recommendations within the Road Map
- advice about communications relating to patient online and about an approach to market development.
Patient Online: The Road Map Full version [PDF] 1.9 Mb
Patient Online: The Road Map Summary. [PDF]
Useful extracts from Patient Online: The Road Map
Patient Online: The Road Map Executive summary and preface. [PDF]
Patient Online: The Road Map Appendix 2 Patient Online Access Defining the Offer. [PDF]
Patient Online: The Road Map Appendix 3 Information Governance Risk Register. [PDF]
Patient Online: The Road Map Appendix 5 Key messages from the roadmap. [PDF]
Patient Online: The Road Map has been produced based on supporting products from working groups as referenced within ‘Patient Online: The Road Map’. The following product set was used for the production of the Information Governance risk register.
Patient Online: The Road Map Supporting products from Working Group 3. [PDF]
Endorsement of Patient Online: The Road Map
Endorsements have been sought from stakeholders and supporting organisations for agreement on the principles within the document and support for patients, GPs and practice staff.
Patient Online: The Road Map: Endorsements [PDF] and stakeholder acknowledgements [PDF]