RCGP Northern Ireland
RCGP NI aims to represent its members working in Northern Ireland and to address local issues and aspirations. It also aims to influence the work of the Royal College and governmental policy, where appropriate, in order to try to ensure that Northern Ireland members’ views are heard.
RCGP Northern Ireland represents over 1200 members in Northern Ireland, accounting for over 80% of all Northern Ireland GPs, and has links with almost 700 members in the Republic of Ireland Faculty.
Activities of RCGP Northern Ireland include:
- Representation on health committees and working groups
- Provision of clinical leads
- Political engagement
- Joint liaisons and working strategies (including policy development) with other professional bodies
- Consultation responses
- Set up and facilitation of working groups in areas such as End of Life Care, Quality, Patient Participation and Membership Development
- Development and implementation of RCGP Quality Programme
- Promotion of the GP Foundation and support of Practice Managers
- Provision of CPD courses and events
The Royal College of General Practitioners Northern Ireland was established in 1953, one year after the College in the UK. A Northern Ireland Faculty was created to take forward RCGP’s interests in Northern Ireland. The Northern Ireland Faculty was so productive that on 1 April 2003 it progressed to become a Council.
RCGP Northern Ireland Council
The RCGP Northern Ireland Council is made up of elected member GPs, appointed lay representatives and representatives of a number of pertinent organisations. Council members are elected from the general Northern Ireland membership who, as far as possible, represent a geographic spread of the whole of the country. These members give voluntarily of their time to further the objectives of the College in Northern Ireland.
RCGP Northern Ireland Council meetings take place on a quarterly basis with the Annual General Meeting being held in November. All members are entitled to attend the Council meetings as observers and should declare their intention to attend at least one week in advance of the meeting to the NI Council administrator, Rhonda Robinson at firstname.lastname@example.org
Post Council letters will be made available on the website no later than 2 weeks after each meeting of Council.
RCGP Northern Ireland dates for 2014 are:
- Monday 9 June, 20.00, at Radisson Blu Hotel, Belfast
- Monday 15 September, 20.00, at Radisson Blu Hotel, Belfast
- Monday 17 November (including AGM), 20.00, at Radisson Blu Hotel, Belfast
Northern Ireland Council Executive Committee
RCGP Northern Ireland Council Executive Committee is a sub group of RCGP Northern Ireland Council and includes the positions of Chair, Deputy Chair Policy, Deputy Chair Finance and Executive Members for Quality, Education and Professional Development, Patients and Public and Membership.
The RCGP NI working groups feed into the RCGP Northern Ireland Council Executive Committee who ensure that RCGP Northern Ireland Council are kept fully informed of ongoing activity by the working groups via council papers or, where time frames prohibit, by email.
RCGP Northern Ireland Excellence in General Practice Awards 2013-2014
Quality patient care is a priority for RCGP Northern Ireland and it is important to recognise general practice at its best. The Annual RCGP Northern Ireland Excellence in General Practice Awards, create an opportunity for patients and practice teams to recognise the dedication of those who play an important role in ensuring the quality of care for their patients.
Nominations are now open and close on the 28 February 2014.
Nominations forms for our 3 main awards:
- General Practitioner of the Year
- Practice Team of the Year
- Innovation in General Practice
are available to download at RCGP Northern Ireland Awards
The Awards evening itself will take place on the 24 May 2014 in the Galgorm Resort and Spa, County Antrim.
For more information please contact email@example.com or call us on 020 3188 7727.
RCGP Northern Ireland Travel Bursary, supported by Investec
This is the second year of the Northern Ireland Travel Bursary, supported by Investec. This bursary is designed to provide 'First 5’s’ who have recently completed their training to enhance their knowledge by attending educational courses or providing support for research projects.
Information can be found here concerning the application criteria and process. The application deadline will be 17:00, 30 April 2014.
If you have any queries regarding the bursary, please do not hesitate to contact the RCGP NI office on 020 3177 7722 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
RCGP Northern Ireland Newsletter
RCGP NI produces an enewsletter which keeps members informed of its work as well as upcoming events and opportunities to get involved. This is distributed a maximum of once a month on the second Thursday of each month.
To subscribe please contact Laura Orr on email@example.com
Committees and Groups of RCGP Northern Ireland
The RCGP Northern Ireland Quality Committee is a sub group of the RCGP Northern Ireland Council. The Quality Committee meets four times per year to:
- Take forward existing and new quality initiatives on behalf of the Northern Ireland Council
- Manage and develop quality initiatives to improve the standard of patient care and services in GP practices
- Influence activity and policy in Northern Ireland that impacts on the quality and standards of primary care
The current work of the Committee includes
- The promotion of the recently published Model Practice Framework as part of the 10 Year Strategy
- The review and subsequent rollout of the RCGP Out of Hours Accreditation in the Republic of Ireland in partnership with the Irish College of GPs
- The development of guidance for general practitce on Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender (LGB&T) patients
Download the Practice Framework book [PDF]
To find out more about the work of the Quality Committee contact Ashleigh Simpson at firstname.lastname@example.org or on 020 3188 7722.
RCGP NI Members Forum
The newly established Members Forum brings together representatives from across the membership spectrum in Northern Ireland and is not only reflective of geographical spread of GPs throughout the province, but also of the wide range of ages and stages within a GPs lifetime and associated needs. Membership is also reflective of the sessional and rural GP population within Northern Ireland as well as the educational needs of GPs.
The role of the Forum is to support all members throughout their careers and act as the members’ voice. It provides a platform for the College to respond to issues affecting membership in Northern Ireland and to develop and share new initiatives at area and Northern Ireland level including:
- CPD programming
- Membership Communications
The current Chair of the Members Forum is Dr Philip Lusty. You can contact Dr Lusty on email@example.com.
If you would like more information on the Members' Forum and how you can join the Members Forum Google Group please contact Laura Orr at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Fellowship in Northern Ireland
RCGPNI has a very active Fellowship programme with a number of members receiving their Fellowship since the introduction of the new pathway. If you would like to nominate a colleague for this esteemed accolade please contact Laura Orr on email@example.com or on 020 3188 7727.
- Associates in Training. RCGP NI engage with Associates in Training via a number of mediums including a bi-annual publication and educational events specifically targeted towards their needs including an annual Life as a Locum Event in March. The AiT rep for 2013-2014 is Dr Steven Kinnear. Should you wish to get in touch with Steven please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- 'First5®'. RCGP NI have recently set up a Facebook page specifically for First5® members. If you would like to join please contact Laura Orr at email@example.com. The College held a half day educational event in March 2013 targeted specifically at the needs of First5® members on Out of Hours and Safer Prescribing. If you have any suggestions of topics you would be interested in for 2014-2015 events please contact Laura at the above email address.
- Continuing Professional Development. RCGPNI has an extensive educational programme for 2012-2013 with concessional rates for members. Please use the events search to find a course for you. Online booking is now available. RCGP NI are currently creating their programme for 2014-2015, if you have any suggestions for events or courses please contact Laura at the above email address.
Links to information on other RCGP Northern Ireland groups and activity
Royal College of GPs Northern Ireland
4 Cromac Place
Tel: 020 3188 7722
Fax: 020 3188 7723