The RCGP Rural Forum group aims to improve representation of rural GPs within the College.
The forum supports GP revalidation and investigates education that seeks to ensure recruitment and retention in rural practices. We aim to improve communication with rural members, offer input for CPD programmes and research and provide the rural perspective in shaping College policy. Our aims are to:
- Represent rural and remote GPs, and promote rural issues inside and outside the College faculties
- Encourage rural GPs to engage with the College
- Advance the College’s objectives in rural practice
- Facilitate communication and networking of rural doctors in the UK
- Support the professional development of rural GPs
- Promote remote and rural issues at appropriate levels, engaging with the profession and managers and informing political debate.
- Being Rural RCGP Scotland Rural Strategy Group policy paper [PDF]
RCGP Scotland Rural Strategy Group issued their policy paper Being Rural in an exclusive interview with Daniel Sanderson of the Herald on the challenges facing remote and rural general practice.
The Rural Forum initiative has been running for five years. Growing interest and increasing membership numbers suggest that we are meeting our aims to promote rural general practice and highlight issues facing rural GPs.
Current initiatives include:
- Providing a report to help rural proof Government policy for rural primary care; Download PDF Document Developing a training course to support and prepare qualified GPs to work in remote and rural areas Download PDF Document
Rural Forum Steering Group
The Forum is managed by a Steering Group supported by the administrator, Paula Lythgoe who supervises the day to day running of the Forum. The Steering Group consists of representatives from the 4 nations and co-opted members to represent AiTs, First5s, GPC, Dispensing Doctors' Association EURIPA, WONCA Rural Working Party. Rural Forum terms of reference PDF
To find out more about members of the Rural Forum Steering Group please click on the links below.
Rural Events Calendar
RCGP Rural Forum Educational Event and Conference - Saturday 6 June 2015 at the Beardmore Hotel, Glasgow.
Book now for this stimulating summer course run by the RCGP Rural Forum with key note speakers RCGP President Professor Mike Pringle and Chair of RCGP Scotland Dr Miles Mack
Topics include: The Eye Phone: a portable eye examination kit, Social Media Workshop, Paediatric Emergency Care, Training the Rural GP Workforce and Hands on Clinical Skills Update.
To view full programme please click here
Rural Forum Discussion Google Group
This is the means by which members can follow and inform topical debate and can contribute to Rural Forum activity. An operational guide will be sent electronically on joining the Forum.
Join the Forum
The Forum is open to any College member and is completely free. Join by emailing your details to us. Please include the following details:
- First name and surname
- GMC number
- The email address which you registered with the College’s membership database
Benefits of joining
- Representation of rural practitioners' interests in the care of their patients at all levels
- Established democratic representative structure
- Opportunity for you to inform and influence College policy
- A virtual system of communication via e-communication and web based facilities
- Fee reduction for attendance at educational meetings and courses run by the Forum
- Opportunity to comment on and influence College policy opportunity to influence College interaction with other agencies where their policies and initiatives may impact on rural healthcare.
Administrator: Paula Lythgoe
Telephone: 01923 523419
The RuralGP blog can be accessed here
WHO Reference Documents on Remote and Rural Retention Policy for Health Workers