Support the College
We are offering you a once in a lifetime challenge: to climb Mount Kilimanjaro!
Have you got what it takes to conquer Kilimanjaro?
Push yourself to the limits to tackle the world’s highest freestanding mountain whilst also raising money for RCGP’s work to support primary care in some of the world’s poorest countries.
Date: January 2016
Trip highlights include:
- Climbing to the breath-taking summit of Kilimanjaro.
- Views across the spectacular African plains as you near the 5895m summit.
- Second Cave (3450m) with superb views of Kibo Mawenzi Tarn (4330m) situated in a cirque beneath the spires of Mawenzi.
- Walking through the forest to catch a glimpse of the Kilimanjaro colobus monkeys.
- Visiting Tanzania, one of Africa’s most colourful and popular destinations.
- Raising funds and awareness for the great work being done in the developing world by the RCGP.
- Ten day trip
- Seven days trekking
- International return flights
- Local transfers
- Trek leader
- All meals while trekking
How much does it cost?
- £350 deposit (your place is not secured until you have paid your £350 deposit)
- £800 recommended personal contribution (you can also fundraise this amount if you wish)
- £1995 minimum sponsorship (we will be there to support you every step of the way with your fundraising)
The challenge is organised for the RCGP by World Expeditions, one of the world’s leading adventure travel companies operating since 1975. They are well respected in the charity sector having organised bespoke trips for organisations ranging from international agencies to national charities, as well as many smaller local charitable causes and schools.
The itinerary at a glance:
- DAY 1: London – Marangu
- DAY 2: Commence Climb (Altitude 2600m, three to four hours) Camp Rongai 1
- DAY 3: Climb to Second Cave (Altitude 3450m, three to four hours)
- DAY 4: Kikelewa Caves (Altitude 3600m, three to four hours)
- DAY 5: Mawenzi Tarn (Altitude 4330m, three to four hours)
- DAY 6: Walk to Kibo (Altitude 4700m, five to six hours)
- DAY 7: Summit (Altitude 5896m) and descend to Horombo Hut (11 to 15 hours)
- DAY 8: Descend to Marangu (approximately five to six hours)
- DAY 9: Transfer to Kilimanjaro Airport
- DAY 10: Arrive UK
To register or find out more about this exciting challenge contact Jenni in the Fundraising Team on 020 3188 7502 or email email@example.com.
- Spaces are limited so contact us now!
There are 250 million GP consultations in the UK every year. 90% of patient contact in the NHS happens within primary care. As the standards and membership body for General Practitioners in the UK, the work of the RCGP is crucial to the wellbeing of every man, woman and child in the UK.
There are many ways of supporting the College. You can make a general donation, name a room, support one of our areas of work, such as our research or international work, or leave a legacy. The RCGP thrives because of the generous donations it receives and we‘re always delighted to recognise donors' contributions.
Your donation towards any of these areas of our work will make a real difference to patient care, now and in the future.
We are always happy to discuss other ways you can support RCGP and strengthen primary care in the UK and around the world. Take a look at our fundraising pages to find out more or contact the Head of Fundraising Edgar Sutcliffe on 020 3188 7488 or email Edgar.Sutcliffe@rcgp.org.uk
RCGP remains tremendously grateful to all those who have made donations to our work several of whom are listed below:
- Dr Carol Blow FRCGP
- The Brunei High Commission
- Sir Arnold Clark and family
- Dr John Horder CBE MA FRCP FRCGP
- Dr Christine Johnson FRCGP
- Mrs Janice Myerson
- Dr Anne Parkin
- Professor Sir Lewis Ritchie OBE MD FRCGP
- The Peter Sowerby Foundation
Thank you to all 325+ donors to the Foundation Wall. View these donors on our Virtual Wall.
We would also like to thank everyone who generously donated to the Capital Appeal, the Sierra Leone (60 for 60) Appeal and the Helen Lester Appeal for Mental Health Research, too numerous to list here.