RCGP leadership strategy
Leadership is key to bringing about improvement in the healthcare systemAll GPs should have the opportunity to develop leadership skills - for their own benefit, and for the benefit of patients.
How the strategy will affect GPs
Our leadership strategy is based on:
- delivering safe care and better health outcomes by ensuring the mix of skills and level of training within the system are geared to support the best possible people delivering the best possible care
- high-quality education and training to enable primary care clinicians to lead decision-making at a local or regional level – while also providing adequate national oversight.
- an educational framework that ensures all GPs have opportuntiies to develop leadership skills through life long, blended learning
- a system which provides the right incentives at all levels to promote a long-term approach to education, training and workforce development
- Why Lead? A proposal to strengthen RCGP support for professional development in leadership [DOC]
Faculty of Medical Leadership and Management
We’ve been involved in the establishment of the Faculty of Medical Leadership and Management (FMLM), a new UK-wide organisation promoting the advancement of medical leadership, management and quality improvement. An important part of FMLM’s work is the NHS Medical Director’s Clinical Fellows Scheme, which helps clinicians develop their knowledge of management and health policy.