Healthy Lives, Healthy People White Paper
The Government produced a white paper entitled Healthy Lives, Healthy People – Our strategy for public health in England.
The RCGP has produced a summary of the Public Health White Paper
In brief, the White Paper outlines plans for much greater localisation in the delivery of public health services. A new body within DH, Public Health England, will direct services that are best handled at a national level, such as immunisation programmes and emergency preparedness, but most powers will be delegated to Directors of Public Health based in Local Authorities.
The document recognises that there will be a significant role for GPs in supporting public health improvements, and proposals include:
- evidence-based support for GP commissioning consortia through the NHS Commissioning Board and Public Health England.
- transparent publication of evidence about GP practice performance, including performance in providing public health services and advice.
- incentives for GPs, including at least 15% of QOF dedicated to public health and primary prevention indicators.
- strengthened focus on public health issues in the education and training of GPs.
- Healthy lives, healthy people: our strategy for public health in England
- Equity and Excellence: Liberating the NHS