What is the practice resilience service and why is it needed?
RCGP’s practice resilience service is an essential first step towards helping general practice get back onto a sustainable footing.
GPs around the country are facing unprecedented pressures in trying to deliver the highest possible standards of care despite under-investment and increasing patient demand. Practice resilience is one key priority within NHS England’s GP Forward View initiative, which the College endorsed in April 2016. For two years our national team of 70 clinicians have successfully supported 74 practices out of special measures through our peer support programme.
Building on this excellent track record we are now extending this tried and tested service to meet the needs of practices that are not in special measures, but which qualify for support under NHS England’s practice resilience programme.
What can RCGP’s practice resilience service offer?
Our 70-strong team of GPs, practice managers, practice nurses and pharmacists can be deployed around the country to offer root cause analysis and in-depth expertise. Working collaboratively with practice teams our advisers:
- work with GPs to understand the issues within the practice
- provide diagnostic reporting, including the development of an action plan
- work with the practice team to prioritise actions
- provide signposting to specific support and training suppliers
The College can offer specific time bound interventions aligned to CQC themes, safe, effective, caring, responsive and well-led. Our experts will provide a holistic review that will look at performance overall and identify blockers to progress.
Establishing lasting change is a key facet of the programme and working with existing resources is vital to embed resilience and long term sustainability.
Each intervention can be tailored specifically to meet each practice’s needs and can include:
- direct advice and mentoring to all practice staff
- team building and development
- specific review of practice nursing processes
- operational skills training support – business skills, HR, property advice and any additional support where necessary
- practice receptionist and clerical staff training
- liaison with key stakeholders where appropriate drawing on insight and support from other local practices and professional leaders
How can I access support?
If you would like further information or if your practice has been identified as qualifying for support under the practice resilience programme, contact the RCGP Forward View team at:firstname.lastname@example.org.