Commissioning and primary care
Health reforms were announced by the government in July 2010. Under the changes, Primary Care Trusts (PCTs) and Strategic Health Authorities (SHAs) will be phased out and responsibility for the commissioning of healthcare services will be handed to GPs and other clinicians.
Key dates in commissioning
Health Education England and the NHS Trust Development Authority are established as special health authorities, but in shadow form, without full functions.
The next step in extending the choice of Any Qualified Provider, which will be phased in gradually.
By October 2012
NHS Commissioning Board is established as an independent statutory body, but initially only carries out limited functions, in particular, establishing and authorising clinical commissioning groups.
- Monitor starts to take on its new regulatory functions
- Health Watch England and local Health Watch are established
1 April 2013
- SHAs and PCTs are abolished and the NHS Commissioning Board takes on its full functions
- Health Education England takes over SHAs’ responsibilities for education and training
- The NHS Trust Development Authority takes over SHAs’ responsibilities for the foundation trust pipeline and for overall governance of NHS trusts
- Public Health England is established
- A full system of clinical commissioning groups is established, the NHS Commissioning Board will only authorise groups to take on their responsibilities when they are ready
Our expectation is the remaining NHS trusts will be authorised as foundation trusts by April 2014. If any trust is not ready, it will continue to work towards FT status under new management arrangements.
Monitor’s transitional powers of oversight over foundation trusts will be reviewed except for newly authorised FTs, where Monitor’s oversight will continue until two years after the authorisation date if that is later.
Clinical Commissioning Lead and Champions
The centre’s work is led by Dr David Paynton, working closely with RCGP Vice Chair Steve Mowle, who has a brief for commissioning and working with our Commissioning Champions. Working with GPs and other healthcare professionals at the grassroots level this team will continue to help devise, develop and deliver the Centre’s training resources and support tools.
Contact the centre