Broad Based Training programme
Broad Based Training (BBT) is a new two-year structured core training programme providing six-month placements in Core Medical Training, General Practice, Paediatrics and Psychiatry, followed by entry into ST2/CT2 level training in one of the four specialties, subject to satisfactory progression.
Why is BBT being introduced?
Coming at a time when healthcare provision is changing its focus to the management of long-term conditions delivered in community settings, this exciting new training opportunity will equip you for the future by:
- Developing you as a more broad based practitioner with a wider perspective to healthcare provision, both now and throughout your career
- Enabling you to become adept at managing patients with complex medical needs
- Ensuring that you have a firm grounding in the provision of patient focussed care
- Providing you with time to develop conviction in your choice of career pathway
- Equipping you for successful entry into one of the four specialties on successful completion of the programme.
More information on the structure of the programme and assessment for BBT doctors can be found in the BBT Curriculum.
What happens after BBT?
After BBT, subject to satisfactory progression, you can choose which of the four specialties you wish to enter.
For General Practice and Paediatrics you would enter at ST2 level. For Psychiatry you would enter Core Psychiatry Training at CT2 and for Medicine, you would enter Core Medical Training at CT2.
If you choose either of the core training programmes (Medicine or Psychiatry), you would have to compete in open competition for entry into an ST3 medical or ST4 psychiatry specialty programme on completion of your core training programme.
BBT routes [PDF, 24KB, 1 page]
We hope you choose General Practice!
How to apply
BBT is being offered in seven LETBS/deaneries across England. The provisional recruitment timetable for 2014 is outlined below:
- Advert appears: Monday 4 November 2013
- Applications open: Tuesday 12 November at 10am UK time
- Applications close: Thursday 5 December at 5pm UK time
- Stage 2 (Computer Based Testing): between Saturday 4 – Saturday 11 January at various locations in the UK
- BBT Shortlisting: between Tuesday 10 December and Tuesday 7 January
- BBT Selection Centre: Thursday 30 January at the Reebok Stadium, Bolton
- Stage 3 (GP Selection Centre): between Monday 3 – Friday 14 February at various locations in the UK
- Offers: by no later than Wednesday 5 March 2014
For full details on how to apply, and information on the participating deaneries, visit the North Western Deanery website.
For more information on BBT follow @NHS_BBT on Twitter or email email@example.com