Eye health, with a focus on ageing and sight loss, is a UK-wide RCGP clinical priority for April 2013 to March 2016. Clinical leadership for this programme is provided by Dr Waqaar Shah, RCGP clinical champion for eye health. A GP network on eye health has been set up to help the clinical champion to further develop and deliver the programme, as well as supporting the dissemination of key messages. For more information and to join the GP network, please contact email@example.com.
The programme aims to enable GPs to:
- Prevent avoidable sight loss amongst their older patients and associated conditions such as falls, fractures and depression
- Refer into eye care services patients with signs of 'correctable' sight loss (e.g. refractive error, cataracts etc) to maintain and improve their quality of life
- Ensure patients with permanent sight loss maintain their independence for longer by helping them to access rehabilitation, low vision and other support services
Evaluating the impact of the programme
The RCGP and the UK Vision Strategy are keen to evaluate the impact of the RCGP clinical priority programme on eye health. A series of surveys will be conducted at the beginning and end of the three-year programme. The results will help to assess the reach of key messages as well as the uptake and impact of tools and resources. Each survey will be open to GPs, practice nurses and practice managers to complete.
RCGP e-Learning on sight loss
The RCGP continues to develop and roll-out a range of eLearning resources.
Prevention and treatment of sight loss
GP eye health network
If you are a GP, or work with GPs, you can get involved by joining the free GP eye health network, which aims to improve the quality of care for patients with sight loss.
This network supports GPs to:
- Access and share examples of best practice
- Share innovative ways of managing patients with sight loss
- Collaborate with fellow healthcare practitioners at UK, national and regional levels
- Build local relationships and communication channels with colleagues from primary, community and specialist care.
By joining the network, you will also have the opportunity to become a local clinical champion for eye health.
To join the free network, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
RCGP stakeholder group on eye health
A number of key decision-makers and opinion-formers work with the RCGP to deliver the core aims of the RCGP clinical priority programme on eye health.
UK Vision Strategy
The UK Vision Strategy is the key partner organisation for the RCGP clinical priority programme on eye health.