Research Ready self-accreditation
Research Ready is an online self-accreditation tool covering the minimum requirements of the Research Governance Framework for undertaking primary care research in the UK. It has been developed in conjunction with the NIHR Clinical Research Network and the Primary Care Research Networks (PCRN).
Further information on research governance
- enables practices to reflect on their ability and capacity to conduct high quality research
- provides a means for chief investigators, study teams, MHRA inspection teams or inspectors and Research Management & Governance staff to be satisfied that any practice accredited to Research Ready level is up-to-date and compliant with national standards for research
- can be used as evidence for the research domain in your appraisal
- aware of how it can minimise any potential risks for your practice, practice staff and study participants
- reaccreditation ensures that practices are up-to-date with constantly changing research governance and that their details remain accurate
- the Research Ready file provides a useful reference for the research team and also for the induction and training of new staff in your practice who will be participating in its research activities
- the opportunity to be involved in a wider range of research studies
Research Ready flyer [PDF]
Research Ready is available to both practices that are already research active and practices which are not yet active. We strongly encourage practices to make links with their local PCRN.
Practices are required to complete an initial registration and will then be sent login details to complete the assessment.
Practices must be able to answer ‘yes’ to all the questions in the assessment and enter information on their practice demographics and research interests. Practices may or may not choose to be accredited for undertaking Clinical Trials.
From October 2011, there is a one-off charge of £150 for a three year period of accreditation. Practices accredited before October 2011 will be required to pay when they renew their accreditation. Funding for this charge can be offset against any income the practice receives from research. There is a £50 discount available on RCGP Practice Accreditation (a scheme to assist with CQC registration) to Research Ready accredited practices.
Main accreditation site
List of accredited practices [DOC]
The list of Research Ready accredited practices is updated fortnightly.
Practices are required to renew their accreditation after three years. The process is straightforward:
- check through the original details submitted
- change the Clinical Trials status if applicable
- enter information on research undertaken during the accreditation period
We will provide a reminder to practices one month before their accreditation is due to expire.
Reaccredit your practice
Research active organisations and employees/members of a University, NIHR Research Network, or the Medical Research Council can nominate practices for RCGP Research Ready Status based on their research performance and experience.
Nominate a practice
You will be required to complete details about your organisation and then some details on the practice, many of the fields have been left optional if you would prefer the practice to complete them. They will then be sent login details to complete the accreditation assessment.
If you would like to contact us, please email
Useful information can be found on the National Institute for Health Research website