Research guidelines and services
The Research Governance Framework for Health and Social Care sets out the broad principles of good research governance, similar Frameworks exist for Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales.
All of these Frameworks can be found on the DH website and cover research undertaken within the Department of Health and the NHS and research undertaken locally by local authority social care organisations.
- sets out principles, requirements and standards
- defines mechanisms to deliver them
- describes monitoring and assessment arrangements
- improves research and safeguards the public by:
- enhancing ethical awareness and scientific quality
- promoting good practice
- reducing adverse incidents and ensuring lessons are learned
- forestalling poor performance and misconduct
- is for all those who:
- design research studies
- participate in research
- host research in their organisation
- fund research proposals or infrastructure
- manage research
- undertake research
- is for managers and staff, in all professional groups, no matter how senior or junior
- is for those working in all health and social care research environments including:
- primary care
- secondary care
- tertiary care
- social care
- public health
The Department of Health
More detail about the principles of research and the governance frameworks of England is available in this document produced by the DH.
Research Governance Framework for Health and Social Care
A list of FAQs are available on the NHS Research and Development web site.