The RCGP is pleased to offer you the opportunity to apply for several awards. These awards have all been instituted to celebrate research, innovation and audit and to promote these to GPs and the wider primary healthcare community.
RCGP Research Paper of the Year Award
The call for nominating papers is now open.
Deadline for submitting papers: 12:00 noon, 15 February 2017
The Research Paper of the Year (RPY) award gives recognition to an individual or group of researchers who have undertaken and published an exceptional piece of research relating to general practice or primary care.
The overall winner will be selected from category winning research papers.
To enter a paper for the award:
Entries must be submitted under one of the following categories.
The RCGP RPY category prize for:
- Category 1: Cancer
- Category 2: CVD, Renal, Respiratory, Oral, ENT & Ophthalmology
- Category 3: Children, Reproduction, Genetics, Infections
- Category 4: Neurology, Mental Health and Dementia
- Category 5: Health Service Delivery and Public Health (includes generic primary care topics)
- Category 6: Endocrinology (inc Diabetes), Gastroenterology, Musculoskeletal and Trauma, and Dermatology
More information about this award and inclusions within categories can be found here.
All papers must be entered using our web based RPY award entry form.
All submissions must:
- Be published between 1 January 2016 and 31 December 2016
- Relate to a research project which has been undertaken within the United Kingdom (UK) and/or the Republic of Ireland (ROI)
- Be directly applicable to general practice and/or primary care
- Have at least one practicing GP author at the time the study was undertaken or any member of the RCGP
- The following types of papers are not eligible for this award: pilot studies, feasibility studies, non-systematic literature reviews, audits, discussion papers, papers not based on research using empirical data
This award is not restricted to members of the RCGP.
For further information please email RPY@rcgp.org.uk or phone 020 3188 7594.
Yvonne Carter Award for Outstanding New Researcher 2017
Yvonne Carter Award for Outstanding New Researcher 2017 - Call for applications now open
The annual Yvonne Carter Award for Outstanding New Researcher, presented jointly by the RCGP and the Society for Academic Primary Care (SAPC) recognises the contributions of earlier career researchers in advancing the discipline of academic primary care through research. Academic primary care is a distinct discipline driving constant improvement in primary care through education and research.
The £1,000 award is intended to enable the successful candidate to meet and collaborate with researchers in other countries and to attend and present work at an international research meeting. This may include presenting work at an international research meeting, but the award is not intended purely as a travel grant for conference attendance. The award cannot be used to fund a research project.
Professor Yvonne Carter CBE was an outstanding and inspirational leader who had a remarkable impact on academic general practice and this award was instituted to commemorate her outstanding contribution to primary care research.
To apply for the award applicants must submit:
- An up to date CV
- A letter outlining current research and plans for the award
- A letter of support from the head of department
Guidance about what to focus on in within the application and further information to support the application can be found here.
The award is open to earlier career researchers in primary care. Applicants should have no more than 5 years (FTE) postdoctoral experience in academic primary care and will normally have completed their PhD/MD. They should be affiliated to a recognised general practice/primary care research group in a UK/Ireland University, have published at least five pieces of original research in peer-reviewed journals – at least one as a lead author – and be actively engaged in high quality research which is genuinely grounded in primary care.
For further information, please contact the CIRC team at SFB@rcgp.org.uk or phone 020 3188 7594.
Deadline for submissions: 31 January 2017
RCGP and NIHR Clinical Research Network Research Awards
The call for applications is currently closed
These new awards, run in partnership with the National Institute for Health Research (NIHR) for members of the College, recognise research active NHS GPs and general practices that are demonstrating excellence and innovation in delivering NIHR research.
The 2016 winners are:
The standard of entries was so high that four entries were recognised with Highly Commended:
Applicants were required to outline their contribution to NIHR Clinical Research Network Portfolio studies with particular weight being attached to:
- the range and number of patients in NIHR Clinical Research Network studies;
- how patients have been engaged and informed of new opportunities to participate in clinical research;
- the contribution made to the delivery of studies;
- innovative methods of study delivery.
As part of the application process the applicants had to set out what activities they planned to carry out in the future to improve research delivery.
The awards were presented by the Network's National Specialty Lead for Primary Care, Associate Professor Philip Evans, during the RCGP Annual Conference on 6-8 October in Harrogate.